Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Kolkata is a different city... I have lived here most of my life, but the brief hiatus during which I was elsewhere made me more observant of the idiosyncracies of this place, now that I am working here again.

Bengalies are more emotional than any other tribe I've ever met. Issues can snowball on the slighest pretext...strangers can become friends if they feel there is a need....The operative word is "feel".

For most of my friends, Kolkata is a place where your parents are, while you are located elsewhere. It is a place to visit during the pujas, holidays...a place to relax and then return to the grind. For me, it is is just the opposite, unfortunately.

As I go through daily life, I remember the parting words of one of my professors from ISB, Hyderabad. He had ended the last class and on a parting note mentioned eight steps to becoming a leader and more happier human being. One of those steps was -

Feed your mind at the end of the day with thoughts that challenge you to be better, to think deeper, thoughts that have substance, thoughts that propel you to reach your goal.

:D I am trying...

2 Comments:

Blogger iceman said...

hello! good to hear from you...life is good...am with credit suisse , equity research, mumbai. whats up with you? :)

12:16 AM  
Blogger NDEO said...

Cant agree more with the last part...challenge yourself while sleeping and you would awake a person with some clarity of problems if nothing more...

A great post...gave an insiders view point of Kolkotta!!!

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home